Saturday, December 8, 2007

Holy Whole Wheat Challah!




Rustic, but delicious!





















Here's the recipe:

I read a whole bunch of recipes for basic Challah(not whole wheat) and adapted it into my own. If I make this again I will probably brush the top with milk or egg wash.

I used good old King Arthur's "Traditional Whole Wheat Flour"


Ingredients

1 pkg. active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1/4 cup Splenda Brown Sugar blend (this was all I had in the house... you can probably use any type of sugar/sweetner here)
2 tablespoons of canola oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 cups of whole wheat flour
Canola oil for brushing the top (or egg wash)



Directions:


1. Mix the yeast and water and allow it to activate (5-10 minutes).
2. Add the sugar, oil, and salt.
3. In a separate large greased bowl (I used the Kitchen aid mixer bowl) put in the flour.
4. Add the yeast mixture and combine into a nice wet dough. Add flour or warm water if needed.
5. Knead (I used the handy kitchen-aid with the bread hook) until it forms a ball of dough on the hook. (2-3 minutes) Or knead by hand (will take a bit longer).
6. Cover bowl with a towel and allow to rise. 2 hours.
7. Divide the dough into 3 equal parts.
8. Shape each into 11-12inch(approx)long strips. Braid the strips together to form Challah loaf shape.
9. Cover the loaf and allow to rise for another 1 1/2 - 2 hours. It should double in size.
10. Brush the loaf with oil. Bake it at 375 for 30-35 minutes.
11. Let it cool on a cooling rack.

Enjoy with butter or margerine.



*This is a small loaf and was quickly consumed by my husband and myself in a day!

3 comments:

Di said...

I've been wanting to try to make challah out of whole wheat! Yours looks really nice...did you use wheat pastry flour? Also, the cookies look heavenly. These look like south beach adaptations... :-) Could you please post the recipe for the challah? That'd be great :)

eggs mcgeez said...

The cookies were yummy - but a bit messy. I just posted the Challah recipe for you. I adapted it from a bunch of different recipes I found and then crossed my fingers.

This is the first time I have ever made Challah and I was pleased that it turned out :)

I'll bet that whole wheat pastry flour would give it a lighter texture and color. I just love the taste of the basic whole wheat flour.

But not everyone does.

Thanks!
~p

Di said...

Thank you for posting the recipe P~! I appreciate that. Can't wait to try it out. :-) Like you, I love the taste of whole wheat flour. I haven't ever used the whole wheat pastry flour but a friend recently said it works quite well when looking for a lighter or fluffier consistency.

Thanks again! :-)