Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Indian Food


Yesterday I decided to challenge myself and make a full indian food feast for us.

We had:

Whole wheat naan (sooooo easy and sooooo yummy)
red curry lentils (pictured)

saag paneer with potatoes (I made the paneer too - first time I have ever made cheese)

I got the recipes from a variety of sources online and adjusted them slightly.

I'm going to make some more naan today and try another curry dish.

Here's the Naan recipe:

Need:

2 1/4 cups of whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons of sugar (I used light brown sugar because it was all I had and it worked out fine)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup of warm water
1 egg beaten
2 tablespoons of milk
1 packet of yeast or 2 and 1/4 teaspoons of yeast

Instructions:
Dissolve yeast in the warm water and let it activate (add sugar to help)

In a mixing bowl combine:
flour
sugar
salt
egg
milk

Add yeast and water mixture and combine.
Knead dough until it comes together nicely - it will be on the "wetter" side.

Leave ball of dough in a greased bowl to rise for an hour or so.
Punch down the dough and allow to rise another 3 hours.

divide dough into 8 balls.
roll out the balls into "small pizza" size.
Heat a cast iron skillet ot grill to med/high
Toast the flat breads on each side of the for 2-3 minutes.
Brush with butter(optional)

enjoy!

No comments: