Thursday, February 14, 2008

Sweets for the sweet

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins







Nancy Silverton's Cake Donut(holes)





Banana chocolate-chip muffins

I made these for me. In my humble opinion, chocolate and banana is a match made in taste-bud heaven. I used a 3 oz dark chocolate - 80% cacao bar chopped up into little bite sized bits of goodness. I made this with whole wheat pastry flour, a cup of Nancy's non-fat yogurt, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, canola oil, one egg and a cup of mashed bananas.

They are great warm (with the dark chocolate oozing out) or cold.


Classic buttermilk cake donut-holes

These little guys were for Jason. Fried little vittles topped with cinnamon and sugar - nuff said.

I picked up Nancy Silverton's: Pastries From the La Brea Bakery from the library this weekend.

Foolish, foolish girl.

How can I stick to my healthy salad and veggie plan with this book in the house? I swear everything in this book calls for at least 2-3 sticks of butter. Believe it or not her cake donut recipe was one of the healthiest recipes in the book. I adapted the recipe a bit and made only half the recipe and I made little holes instead of the proper donuts out of shear laziness. I also used yogurt in place of buttermilk.

They came out perfectly - light and crunchy with just a hint of nutmeg and that divine cinnamon smell throughout the house.

Best donut recipe I have made, yet.

Nancy Silverton made Julia Child cry in pleasure. You will too if you make these donuts.

"A Triumph!"

No comments: