Friday, February 1, 2008

Pantry Challenge


Have you come across these Pantry Challenges online? It sounds like an awesome idea to me; try to survive for as long as you can on just what you have left in the pantry.

I suppose it depends a lot on the size of your pantry. I've checked out a few pictures of these pantries from folks who have lasted a long time. These pantries are stocked with enough food to make it through a good 6 months! We're talking HUUUUUUUUGE. So it isn't exacly what I would call an equal opportunity challenge.

Our pantry is one top cabinet in our galley kitchen. Modest to say the least. But it does the job.


However, we inadvertently entered a pantry challenge of our own when the snow fell and completely blocked our driveway this last week. Being wimpy west-coasters we were not prepared for that much snow! Also, big J busted a window in the car that we had recently equipped with studded tires. So we were stuck.

We could walk to the main places we needed to get to during the week, but we couldn't get to a proper market and back with all the weekly groceries in the snow.(I can just picture us hiking up the hills in the slushy snow with our stolen grocery cart!)

So we were forced to make it through the week on just the leftovers in the pantry. I was pretty impressed with the outcome. Breakfast was interesting since we were out of cereal and milk and it turns out J isn't a fan of old-fashioned oats. But he toughed it out. We drank Tetley tea in the mornings since we were out of coffee by Monday and I had to soak a ton of dried beans for pantry soups and improvised supers.

But we did great!

I'll bet we could make it another week or so. But I need me some coffee!

I think we'll do a proper pantry challenge after we restock the anemic pantry with some of the basics like yeast and sugar, canned tomatoes and the aforementioned heavenly brew.


We'll be living it up pioneer-style!


Well, pioneers with in-door plumbing and heating, spendy dog food, and organic dark roast of course!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are as prepared as our fears! Most folks who have lived in this weather for a while have learned to stock up on canned, prepared foods. You'd have to develop a taste for canned food, first of all. My solution, prepare some pizzas and freeze them. They can be customized for breakfast, even. Ah? I think I'll do that today.