Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Pantry Challenge - good chocolate on the cheap

Craving Chocolate?

I love chocolate. I will spend a bit of money to get that fancy bar of organic 70-80% cacao bar from the market each week just to have a nibble now and then.

It can add up.

Well, tonight I found a solution. I made a thick chocolate sauce/non dairy ganache from cocoa powder, sugar and Earth Balance and figure that could save a us a good 10-12 bucks a month.

It was rich and delicious and tasted just like my favorite chocolate ganache.

Why didn't I do this years ago?

Chocolate sauce on bananas is so damn good.

2 parts cocoa powder
2 tspns sugar (or sweetener of your choice)
2 tablespoons good cocoa (Dutch)
1 tablespoon canola oil or Earth Balance spread-melted


mix ingredients together to make a thick, rich sauce.
adjust to taste then dollop on a sliced banana or fruit of your choice.
top with crushed hazelnuts or walnuts.

yum.


serves two.

No comments: