Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Some Like It Hot





Jason loves everything about Winter: sub-freezing temps, warm coats and hats, snow, warm fireplaces, hot cider drinks, and most importantly warm, rich, winter food.

This guy loves soups, casseroles and thick, hearty, hot, steaming stews or pot-pies.

So why am I surprised that he went ga-ga over this leek and bean cassoulet from Veganomicon?



I however, wasn't too impressed. In all fairness, I don't think it is a bad recipe. It just isn't for me.

Basically I'm more of an Autumn/Spring kind of gal.

I like soups and I like casseroles. But I prefer the "lighter" variety with seasonal vegetables. I dislike using cornstarch or any other thickening agent in anything. I don't like the gooey texture. I miss tasting the veggies individually.

The biscuits on top were tasty, but again, too heavy for my taste. So I probably wouldn't do well in the Midwest or Eastern Europe. Good thing I live in Oregon...and good thing Spring is just (ahem) 10 weeks away.

No comments: